Skip to main content

Reply to "High school: pitcher only or pitcher and position"

There are 3 unofficial 2 way guys at Tennessee but really none.  Son (LHP and 1st/DH), starting CF (LHP), and a true IF/OF guy who is RHP.  CF got 5 innings all in mop up, son got 41 innings but no official AB's, and other kid got 7 AB's and no innings.

I don't know of any in the SEC that are true 2 way guys.  There are a few like our CF who got a few mop ups and a few pitchers who got a couple of AB's.  There are definitely some that could but in today's culture why would you is most coach's philosophy.  I think if son got legitimate chance (really big spot in a game) to hit it would be in a unique position where they need someone who can hit it out or deep and a player is up who doesn't have that proven power.  Son's answer when I asked last fall why he was not working on it like he did his freshman year is the answer for most in competitive teams in today's culture.  "Dad, we have 21 guys here who do nothing but swing bats.  Why would I spend 2-3 hours a night to try and take one of their spots when I need to be spending that time making sure I keep my spot."  I think that sums it up in today's culture in college baseball.  Throughout the year the coach kept saying just don't forget how to swing it just in case.  Even at Omaha, coach said you never know.  Take a few swings and a few bunts because he is one of the better bunters on the team and still hits it deep from both sides.  Most guys are so concerned with keeping a position that they don't have time to compete for two positions.