Skip to main content

Reply to "High school: pitcher only or pitcher and position"

@DD 2024 posted:

Thanks.

I am going to stop responding to this thread.

Because I'm being told my opinions, my observations, what I know to be true is invalid. Time and time again. From posters who make assumptions about me, my background and my involvement in high-level baseball and D1 sports based on their biases, their beliefs, what serves them.

No discussion to be had here.

I don't think anyone is trying to say what you see is invalid.  They are just saying they all saw it too at your son's age and in travel ball and hs....you don't see it much in college or pro.  I think you believe that it wasn't this way for everyone else...many are just further along in their journey.  Freshman and sophomore years my son showcased as a two way.  Partly because its boring to just go as a PO and partly to show he was athletic and could do other things.  He threw 87 across the IF and they ranked him as the #3 3B in the state.  He would NEVER have had an opportunity to play D1 as a 3rd baseman. Masyn Winn was a great 2020  two way player in hs.  Top 10 in the nation easy.  Could pitch up to 98mph.  Crushed the ball.  Great hands, incredible arm.  He was drafted last year out of hs.  He will never pitch in the minors or majors.  They are however reporting that he is one of the best arms out there including all major league SS.  They really are unicorns.  Enjoy being a 2 way with any coach that lets him do it, for as long as he can.  Just be realistic that it is a rare occurrence that it continues into. college or beyond.