Skip to main content

Reply to "High school pitchers"

Shep I've lived in the trenches.

The state showcases used in an above post that you’re referring to are open for all high school players (not invite). There is nothing that says they are for the elite only. The purpose is to find a diamond in the rough, to invite to higher level events. What do you mean draft picks? Which draft do you remember 80-81 mph being the average pitcher?

We will be in the trenches again next month at the San Diego Lions tournament, 112 teams. 2,000+ players, most will not be among the “elite” and we will see nearly all of them!

Now if you wish to talk about the high end events… the average would be mid 80s or better. In Jupiter last fall 214 high school pitchers topped out at 88 mph or better in one tournament (average more than three per team). About 100 were 90 or better. If the hurricane had not taken 13 teams that total would have been much higher. In fact it was much higher the previous year when around 150 (if memory serves me) were 90 mph or better. That’s the high level! And no the average was not 80-81. For every 90 there wasn’t a 70.

80-81 is my opinion (maybe a bit higher some places, lower in others), your opinion is 75. I could very well be wrong, but neither one of us could possibly know. No one can answer the question accurately, the information just doesn’t exist. Why is it that you know and others have no idea?

Anyway, if on a 4 man staff a high school has one mid 80s pitcher, it would mean the other three, top at 70mph. For every pitcher who throws 80 mph someone would need to top at 70 to average 75.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but how many high schools have very many varsity pitchers who throw less than 70 mph or an entire staff that can’t throw over 75 mph? I do know to average 75 it means most have to throw less than that.

Maybe others will chime in regarding their part of the country and what they have observed.

How many have pitchers who throw low 80s? I don’t have any idea, but I’m guessing you do for some reason. I just threw out my guess, 80-81 average, none of us really knows. Here was the actual quote
quote:
I have no real way of knowing, but would guess somewhere around 80-81 mph would be average.

I just know we see a very huge number of 80-85 mph high school pitchers every year. I really didn’t expect to receive an education or reprimand.

I thought your post was very disrespectful. Neither you nor I need to be Mr. Baseball! And in fact, WE definitely are not! JMHO
Last edited by PGStaff