Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Pitching Velocity"

quote:
Originally posted by micdsguy:
Wonder what % of HS players ever go to ANY showcase, let along one that elite and expensive. Maybe 10%. Probably less. Pitchers who go are those who feel they have good "showcase appeal," mostly meaning they throw hard.

Even then, 83 mph is average at that event.

I'll guess that 80% of 90mph hurlers have been to one or more showcases versus <10% of sub-70mph pitchers.

With a little bit of rough math, some crude assumptions, and perhaps a little help from PGStaff, we can prolly get a reasonable number.

According to the High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the NFHS during the 2005-06 season, there were 470,671 baseball participants, in 15,290 schools.

See: http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/09/participation_in_high_s...ain_confirms_nf.aspx

Since we don’t know how many total HS teams there are, we have to play some games.

Using the above numbers, it works out to almost 31 players per school. Based on my meager experience, that works out to something less than 3 teams per school, since most HS’s have at least 15 players per team, so let’s call it 2 teams per school. That would mean there are approximately 30,580 total teams. Fr, Jv, and V.

Again, based on my limited experience, I’d say there might be an average of 6 P’s per team who get more than a few token or mop up innings. That would be 183,000+ pitchers. I suppose an argument could be made that in most cases, only V P’s have the skills necessary to even bother going through the expense of a showcase, but for the sake of trying to answer micdsguy’s above quoted initial question, its immaterial.

So assuming that 183K number is reasonable, all that would have to happen is we’d need to know how many different, not total, P’s went to showcases at all. Very likely, since PG is by far the big dawg in show case providers, if PGStaff could tell us how many different kids went to their showcases, we’d begin to get a much clearer picture.