Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Sports Just Changed Forever"

My oldest son, who is a HS varsity basketball coach, said several coaches were talking yesterday and they are afraid the next thing coming is the one transfer rule like college.  It is tough enough to coach HS kids now because you put so much time in them and then they leave for another school, even though, in most states they either have to lie about moving or they sit out a year and only play JV.  Every HS coach I talk to at somewhat successful programs is if you piss the kid off or his parents they will move.  One coach didn't start one the other day, but he still played 20 minutes and was allowed to put up 26 shots with only 3 going in and he transferred the next day.  Went from starting or first off the bench at one school to playing JV at another school.  I don't get it with parents.  If they get the one transfer rule, I know a lot of coaches who will quit.  They can make a lot more money teaching lessons and coaching travel ball in all sports.  I know one guy who makes more money a week during off season doing lessons than he does the entire season as a HC at a HS.