Skip to main content

Reply to "High school vs. Summer ball"

quote:
Originally posted by bacdorslider:
Having 2 sons both playing high school baseball and then summer/select/travel baseball what ever you want to call it. I am beginning to feel that the summer baseball is far better than high school.

For instance, high school baseball has a weaker schedule than the summer baseball. In our case the summer team has better talent on the roster, and plays better competition.

You get more exposure from summer baseball and once you factor in the showcase tourney's , college camps and such, high school baseball takes a back seat. I don't see a lot of benifits to high school baseball other than maybe winning a state tourney?
Does your son play another high school sport where he doesn't play select ball or plan to play in college? Now put yourself in the place of a parent with your baseball view whose kid is playing select and going on to college ball in that sport. How does the view look now?

The players on my son's high school team who won't (or can't) play college ball aren't trying any less hard than those who will. They also want to win as badly. Most of them make all the optional winter workouts. All of them play some level of summer ball.