Skip to main content

Reply to "High school vs. Summer ball"

quote:
Originally posted by bacdorslider:
We practice in some form or fashion 5 days a week and take two days off to play XBOX and go fishing, etc So to answer your question, if we did not have HS ball we would still be practicing since we were doing that as a routine long before he was old enough to play HS ball.

I'm warming up to high school ball, but in my opinion, even at the best high schools, it is lacking in as much as coaching and development are concerned. I like to play against better competition and right now school ball does not offer that.

High school ball is what it is......and I think we have belabored the point, some folks see it as a great thing, I do not.
Don't stereotype high school programs. My son's high school has a fall ball team. It's a place for any player to prove his ability. My son skipped travel fall of his soph year to play for the high school and won a starting position for the spring. Spring tryouts became a formality. He was the first soph to start opening day in six years. They have a FASST (fitness, agility, speed, strength training) three times a week from November through February. There are optional baseball workouts three days a week from November through February. The coach warns players in September don't show up for tryouts in any less than mid season form if they expect to make varsity. The coach has made it his business to get to know as many colleges coaches as possible since he became a head coach five years ago.
Last edited by RJM