Skip to main content

Reply to "High school vs. Summer ball"

quote:
Originally posted by That's Baseball:
quote:
Originally posted by bballman:
How about school pride or playing with your friends or going to school the day after a great game knowing that people know you are a "baseball player". There is a lot more to baseball than just getting exposure. My son loves playing for the HS team. He loves his summer team as well, but he would NEVER give up playing for the HS team.

Curious, if your son's HS had a summer team, would he rather play there or with the travel team?

Travel team by far. Very few good players play on the summer team that is offered. Mostly for 9th graders and sophomores who are not on a good summer team. If you think HS varsity teams are not competitive, HS summer teams are even worse. Here in Ga, a coach is not allowed for force players to play in the summer. Some strongly encourage it and don't technically force them to, but they do.

I will tell you this, competition in our area here in Georgia is pretty stiff in HS ball. We are in 5A in North Fulton County. Not far from East Cobb. The teams are not as good as the top travel teams, but many of them could give many travel teams a run for their money. Every game is competitive and any team in our region can beat any other team on any given night. It is far from like watching a rec game, I'll tell you that.

So, no question, he loves HS ball in the spring and would never want to give it up, but he would much rather play for the summer team in the summer. Much more competition vs. the HS summer team and much more exposure for the next level.