Skip to main content

Reply to "High school vs. Summer ball"

WOW.

Some of these posts just blow my mind. Why even play HS ball then? It seems like it is "beneath" some of you and your sons. Oh wait a minute...from some of these responses, I'm assuming that you play with your son when he plays right?

Sure, it can be disheartening, for a really good player to have a BAD high school program. I've seen that...it's tough.

But for those few who go onto play college ball...what about getting stuck behind the best prospect around in their position?

Or for the next lucky few, getting put on a Rookie level team that's absolutely horrible? Staying in cheap, nasty motels? Riding on buses 3 nights a week. Getting paid less than most fast food workers to work that hard?

THAT is the DOWNSIDE of travel ball. Kids that are never forced to work through adversity. Never experienced sitting on the bench and having to prove themselves. In travel ball, you just move to another team. Not so easy in High School.

My Dad took a new job when I was a rising 10th grader. I had made the JV in 8th, started (pitcher) in 9th and even been pulled up some to Varsity. Then we moved. I didn't know ANYONE on that team. Didn't know the coaches. Didn't know the players. I made the JV as a 10th grader. Hardly played at all. Finally got a shot, pitched my way out of another pitcher's jam. Back to the bench I went.

Got another shot...did my best.

Got pulled up to play with the Varsity in a local tournament...I was considered to 'cannon fodder' to eat innings. I pitched well. Back down I went. Two of the Varsity pitchers got measles. I got pulled up out of desperation by the V coach. Won two District games. Stayed up.

Life isn't easy. Sometimes your boss knows less than you do, and he's a real *****. Doesn't mean he's not your Boss. If you don't teach your kid that now, life is going to be tough for him. Either that or he'll enjoy living with you until the's 30 and whining about how everyone is out to get him.

Just my take.