Skip to main content

Reply to "High School workout/ or practice?? Whats legal these days???"

The sad part is that the HS Coaches are REQUIRING their kids to do more and more each year. It's a shame that I ask the kids that I coach all summer and fall (50-60 games) to get together for two hours a week, but they can't because they have to attend one of their 3 "optional" high school workouts which go on for 3 hours each day.

Along the same lines I was working with a couple kids today who said that they have early morning lifting for baseball before school three times a week, and then have to go to football lifting after school. That is one of the most counterproductive things I have ever heard.

The kids are the ones that are suffering here, they are being torn in some many directions and being spoon fed EVERYTHING.

I've only been out of high school for 10 years, but it is completley different now. During our off-seasons a few of us (football and/or baseball) got together and challenged each other in the weight room, at good ole' Grand Slam, on the T in my garage, in the field house, wherever we could find space. Now the kids schedules look like a campaigning politician and parents/coaches wonder why the kids aren't "taking responsibility" or "showing intiative" . . . . it's because they DON'T HAVE TO!

Some could argue that I am part of the problem by owning and operating a training facility. I can assure you that 1/2 hour a week in a cage is not what is cluttering the kids schedules. Furthermore I encourage the kids to "figure it out" for themselves and learn through reps and failure, not by someone telling you how to do everything.

Sorry for venting, but I logged on after hearing about the two-a-day lifts and this topic was perfect for letting this all fly.

Happy New Year!

-Nelson Gord