Skip to main content

Reply to "HighSchool Stats"

My son will (hopefully) be playing 9th grade Highschool baseball , this Spring. Are Stats recorded at that level? and if so, who records the Stats?

In my experience, high school coaches who value high school stats for their team and other teams (competitive data)  will have someone qualified to do so.  My youngest son's high school coach did value these stats and had a retired former coach (with no sons on the team) keep his stats.   His team was ALWAYS in the hunt for the regional and state level playoffs.

Contrast that with my two older sons who went to a different high school than youngest son.  A student volunteer (usually a cute girl) was taught how to keep score, and was given the scorebook.   In my two olders son's  combined 8 years of high school baseball, their team made the regional playoffs twice.  Never to the state playoffs.   IMO they had talent, the coaches just didn't know how to use the talent they had.

I think that tells an interesting story of high school scorekeeping.   The data is right there and can be used to make competitive game decisions (youngest son's coach) or the data can be ignored and left to chance.   

I hope your son makes the high school team and he has a Coach like my youngest son.

Again, just my experience