Skip to main content

Reply to "Hit Every Day??"

quote:
Originally posted by BobbyTewks:
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
I think the majority of players have to train hard in order to succeed. Every once and a while, there is a player who is so gifted that they probably could train a lot less than others imho. Similarly, there are kids who are so smart they hardly have to crack a book, for example.

Independent ball and the minor leagues are full of guys with incredible physical talent. To be good at something is very different from being great at something. There are a lot more "BP All-Americans" and "5 O'Clock Heros" than there are great players.

Here's a good article on Pujols for perspective:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3723078

If you are going to hit every day, make sure to train both sides of your body. Hitting every day would make you a prime candidate for overuse injuries.

"Talent Is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin is a great read on this subject and has specific examples from the world of athletics.

Bobby - I don't disagree at all with what you are saying. I just don't believe in absolutes either. The one who changed my mind in this area was Josh Hamilton. For several years, he was not working at the game like he ought to be imho. He is one who can out-talent the game imho. They are obviously few and far between but every once in a while, perhaps once in a lifetime, someone gets by with less and still exceeds more.