Skip to main content

Reply to "Hit Every Day??"

Hitting year round or every day is not for everyone. Mentally, physically and emotionally, they have to be able to handle it. Break down injuries are frequently referenced from over use. So, even the routine has to be supplimented in ways that make the hitting session enjoyable. Let's not forget that these player are students as well. Tests, projects and typical "life" have to be accounted for. If your child is a junior then you might also have to factor in ACT prep. My daughter is a junior. She hits every night. I've worked off of basic premises with the teams I've coached. "Take one day off and you know it. Take two days off and your opponent knows it. Take three days off and everyone knows it." Also, "Repetition is no fun but its the reason we have won." My daughter has grown up listening to these philosophies and so has bought in to them. She sets her own practices up and I meet her in the gym after school. We keep it light and competitive. For example working on driving the ball the other way followed by setting up a cone with a softball on top of it and her object is to knock that ball off in x amount of swings. Again, I don't think this is for everyone and certainly isn't necessairy for everyone. Last week, we had a home baskeball tournament and so, they made us put up the cage all week. My daughter was furious. So, we had to pay to go elsewhere. I'll end this with this statement. I've often asked her to stop. I don't think this is healthy. Then again, she appears to have such a sense of pride when she has finished.
Last edited by CoachB25