Skip to main content

Reply to "Hit Every Day??"

quote:
Originally posted by NorcalBBall_Dad:
Interesting thread, and a topic I've been grappling with recently. My son is a freshman and will be 15 in a few weeks. He's been attending a hitting and throwing class (along with conditioning) at our local baseball academy 3 nights a week for the past few months (no fall ball), and our current plan is for him to start hitting and throwing at home on the nights he's not at class for an additional 2 or 3 nights a week. What I've recommended is 15 - 20 minutes for each activity (for throwing keeping the velocity less than 60%). I guess like the OP I'm on the mind that more repetition is better, as long as the practice session is controlled by limiting the time, or the intensity or both. So what do ya'll think, is 5 or 6 days of hitting (3 days hard, 2-3 days "restricted")per week too much for a 15 year old? What about my theory than hitting every day is probably ok as long as some of those days are restricted? TIA

NorCal: To answer your question directly; No, I don't think it's too much BUT don't expect a huge improvement in skills immediately. It will come in 12 - 24 months if he has talent and is working "to improve technique (you know the Perfect practice thing?).

To comment further though; 15 yr. olds do not have mature growth plates (both elbow and shoulder plates are not yet closed, in most cases!) SO .... you must use some measure of moderation to prevent overuse issues. I recommend training both sides of the body. Also, 15 is about the age where Dads, for sure, need to be less involved in things directly but act more as a counselor who makes suggestions. Of course at their age (15), we parents are pretty "stupid" anyway and they look elsewhere for real advice! You have "farmed him out" to pros for training though, so you know that!