Skip to main content

Reply to "Hit trax"

PGStaff posted:

Similar, except closer to what a BP session with good velocity  would look like. Pitching machine is set at the same speed at all locations.  This is done by the HitTrax machine that also measures pitch velocity.

So if the machine is set at 80 mph, every hitter will be hitting against 80 mph. The obvious difference is there are no breaking balls or change of speed.  The HitTrax also calls balls and strikes. It measures where the ball is hit, how far it travels, and scores it accordingly... single, double, triple, HR. It keeps all the traditional stats, B Ave., RBI, Slugging%, runs, etc.  Most importantly, it measures exit velocity both peak and average.  As I said before IMO the average exit velocity over many ABs is especially interesting.

HitTraxes uses graphics that allow you to play in MLB parks, no matter the age group.  Biggest difference is the parks distances are adjusted for each age group.

Perhaps the biggest drawback is the cost of this equipment.  By the time everything is considered it could cost up to $30,000 for the complete set up.  I believe about $20,000 plus is the cost of the HitTrax equipment.

It is a big drawing card in our facility. Used both for training and the hitting League.  Extremely entertaining!  Kids can actually compete rather than just hit in cage. More enjoyment and competition leads to more improvement. The league games actually draw a crowd. I would recommend the HitTrax for any indoor baseball facility that can afford the cost.  If they join the National PG Indoor League it can become a great revenue producer.

PGStaff

How many ABs would you need to see before you say

"That's his average exit velocity"? How does that compare to scouting a player taking BP outside or  trackman at a tournament? I understand it is kind of comparing apples and oranges, especially trackman at a tournament. I look at a lot of the profiles on your site. Just wondering how many ABs a scout/evaluator needs to see before they say makes constant hard contact or has huge power. Can we expect to see HitTrax on PG profiles?