Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitters timing"

4arms posted:

My son is a good hitter and always had success .... Every once in a while.... my son will have a tendency to speed his swing up to match the intensity of that pitcher instead of keeping the same stroke but starting earlier.  

I'm having trouble picturing this.

My perception is that our hitters virtually always put the same-speed swing on the ball, except when they're fooled, which is not what you're describing.

To put it another way, since your son is a good hitter, I'm surprised he doesn't use his maximum-speed swing  virtually every time he swings the bat.

Looking at the flip-side, I've found it's fairly rare to have a hard-hitting guy who has an ability to adjust and slow his swing-speed down and "just play pepper with the ball" with two-strikes.  In other words, I consider it to be an uncommon ability.  With swing-speed, most hitters are one-trick ponies.  Ty Cobb is dead, and Rod Carew is retired.

Over the years, one of my assistants has videoed a decent number of our hitters.  Typically their launch-to-contact-zone times consistently range between .15-.18 seconds, including the mediocre hitters.  In other words, minimal variation. 

I wonder if it's possible that your son is loading up a bit more versus the top pitchers--which is not a good thing--and that this is giving you the impression that he's swinging faster?

Regardless, "wait-and-be-quick" is usually a good swing-thought.

Apologies if this seems argumentative.  Not my intention.  Just trying to understand.

Last edited by game7