Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting Analysis Request II"

NDallasDad posted:

Sultan -

1) Regardless of where his hands start, he drops his back elbow to his side before his hands really move.  I wish that were not the case, but I am not sure it is really going to change without an enormous amount of effort.  I'm also not sure this hurts him right now except for a little timing wise. 

2) I get the bat drag comment, because of the elbow/hands start.  However, I don't think he really has bat drag as I understand it,

1) It makes no difference where his back elbow is at the start.  It matters where it is at 'toe touch' (after the 'stride').

His back elbow is wrapped behind his back.  The back elbow should go back toward the catcher (make sure you continue to coil inward with your hips and shoulders - don't stunt that). [Note that the back elbow may snap back/behind only during the 'uncoil' phase]  This elbow position causes him to then drop his elbow without moving the bathead towards the catcher.  Further, it's contributing to the bat drag below.

2) He has a terrible case of bat drag.  Back elbow is well in front of hands at this 'hip slot' position.  At no time in the swing, should the back elbow be ahead of the hands.

This is causing more than 'timing' issues.

These are serious swing flaws with easy fixes.

So, the first thing I would do is to coil inward as you stride forward, but take your back elbow back toward the catcher (not behind your back).  Think of pulling a bow string back.  Make sure that you continue to coil inward with your shoulders and hips.  Your hips could actually coil inward much, much more as well.

Then, after you fix this, and if you still have bat drag, maybe focus on keeping your hands even with your back elbow as you swing forward.

Last edited by SultanofSwat