Skip to main content

Reply to "hitting and timing suggestions"

Agree with Bu4ick on many points...  when I first saw the post, I thought "uh-oh, a hitting/timing question".  There are many different hitting philosophies and teaches and this can get messy.  

Bu4ick said it perfectly that there are different loads/strides and that factors in heavily with when to start.  I also agree that getting the front foot down in time is key and a common problem with many hitters at all levels.  (As illustration to the "many different teaches", I know that some here are of the belief that "foot down early" is a bad teach.)   Many hitters that come in new to our program wait until they see pitch location to get the foot down.  Too late.  On the other hand, starting when the pitcher breaks his hands is TOO early for most hitters I work with.  

The swing is two-part but there has to be fluidity.  Foot down generally has to happen (or start to happen) about the time the ball is released or immediately after.  The hitter must reach a balance point at load where he is prepared to fire on time for a FB or wait a split second while maintaining a balanced load position for off-speed.

Last edited by cabbagedad