Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting coach specifically for at-bat approach."

@cabbagedad posted:

I agree with JCG in the sense that it would be far more beneficial for a live and present hitting coach to incorporate drills into the approach/plan aspect to immediately reinforce what is being conveyed as opposed to remote lessons/discussion.

We used to spend countless hours with our HS players talking situation/count approach during BP while conducting drills that would simulate those desired situations.  The same applies to every aspect of hitting.  Immediately reinforce whatever is being conveyed with the actual act of execution.  Sometimes, that is as simple as focusing solely on hitting the ball as hard as you can or solely on squaring the ball up.  Other times, it is much more situational whether count-related plan, physical cue (foot down early), position in the box, looking away, intended trajectory, proper relaxation and breathing, zone recognition, etc.

i agree that local would be better. Not all instructors are equal, of course. One of the reasons I decided to ask here  was in case someone knew of someone that really excelled in this area. Some people just have a knack. Another hurdle is the amount of time taken up by his high school schedule. Tough because we have ran into instructors that do not work on weekends.