Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting coach specifically for at-bat approach."

@Elijia, I understand that you did not intend to disparage umpires and I could have written that sentence better.  My intent was to mention that hitters have to address their at-bats and what they can control.  What I want my hitters to do is have the mindset that if a pitcher gets them out the first time, well, they are a .500 hitter and so, great because they increased their chances of getting a hit their next at-bat.  If they make an out that next at-bat, great because they have two hits left in the game for their next two at-bats.  On and on and on and make everything a positive but including the idea that they learn how they made the outs and how they were pitched.  In watching a MLB game today, I saw a dozen hitters in a row take a 1st pitch fastball away.  They swung at a 2nd pitch slider in the dirt.  It was easy to determine how they were being pitched and yet, no adjustments were made.  One of the announcers pointed it out in the 2nd inning.  If I were hitting, I'd be looking for something to drive the other way.  If I fouled that ball off, I would have a reasonable chance of getting a slider in the dirt on the next pitch.  In the game I am talking about 7 of 12 hitters hit with a 0-2 count in the first 4 inning.

Finally, catchers and coaches all call games in a pattern.  I charted my team's opponents for a couple of dozen seasons.  When we went to play a team, my team knew how they had been pitched the previous year or game and they had to build a plan based upon that for that first pitch.

Last edited by CoachB25