Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting Coaches"

The Hitting Edge, by Robson p.37, "The average stride length in the major leagues is 15.17 inches" (I remembered wrong by 1 inch). The plate is 17 inches so the average stride is a little less than the plate length. Soooooo many instructors are teaching little to no head movement. Most mortals cannot hit with so little movement. My son can flat out hit, but the scouts watch him pitch then walk away before they see his home run or double. He has a lot of head movement and has 50% extra base hits to total hits in his high school career. The head wants to center (somewhat it depends some on tilt) between your feet when rotation occurs. The head will therefore move 1/2 stride length + how much a player if off-center at set-up. A-Rod has significant head movement as do MOST major league players. If a player is purely rotational, then there is minimum head movement. This seems to be the method of choice of most who post. I teach rotational to rotational hitters, weight-shift (this is not linear) to weight-shift hitters, and work with the combination hitters in their comfort area. Most hitting gurus who post on this website believe there is only one way to hit and everyone else is either lucky, or has the physicalness to do it or some other nonsense. Will this post get things going?