Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting kid pitch diificulty"

JCG posted:
real green posted:

It's my opinion that 9yr olds shouldn't work on their game.  They should play!  Get creative and turn every drill into a game they play.  Soft toss on an open field.  Set cones and assign points.  Play many games.  Use ghost runners etc..  

Reps are key to hitting.  Just make the reps FUN!  

This is true.

I remember one day I found my two boys playing a game that involved pitching individual Skittles at each other as hard as they could and trying to hit them back where they came. I was sorry I had to put the kibosh on that.

For a long time we played a wiffle ball game in front of the house almost everyday before school. I'd pitch wiffles. A hard grounder that hit the house was a single, a line drive was a double, a ball that went over the roof was a homer.  Everything else was an out, and there was only one out per inning. We'd keep track of imaginary runners after every pitch and keep score. Maybe not as fun as trying to mash a Skittle back at your brother, but darn close.

Perfect!  Great examples of games to play to keep the kids having fun, and by default, improving hand eye coordination.

My boys 2016 & 2018's created a whiffle ball camp business for 6-9 year olds...  They text Mom groups which field-park they'll be at, charge $10/kid, run games for an hour where my boys were the dedicated pitchers, - maybe 4-8 (max) kids, the Moms were busy at the adjacent playground with their younger ones watching..., $10.00 was a no brainer price, their kid was having a private party, fully engaged, and running around till he was exhausted.   They've done it for the past 4 yrs, these  little kids are now entering 11-12U baseball and can hit!  Anyway, just a side bar of having fun and developing ball players (Oh, and create a nice side business, did a few of them a week, put flyers on cars to generate business).  Turned into whiffle ball baseball parties....