Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting kid pitch diificulty"

Thank you all who offered suggestions last spring when I asked some questions about my 9 year old struggling with kid pitch. I utilized a lot of the suggestions (especially whiffle ball drills). We always kept it fun and developed a game for him called whiffle ball champion. He got a nickel for whiffle he could square up. I would throw them from a short distance (different speeds, locations etc...). We used another drill called home run champion with tennis balls. Our park has a short right field fence, (he bats lefty most of time). But it is far for a 9 year old. I would pitch tennis balls to him from short distance and he would get $5.00 for every one over the fence.

He tore up the second half of his first season in kid pitch. He made the all star team as starting catcher batting in the 3 hole. It started with consistant contact. Then you could see the drills really taught him to get the bat head out and drive the ball. In the end he was elevating a lot of his hits as well. His season went from thank god I got a walk to being dissapointed when he didn't get a pitch to hit. When he did get a pitch to hit he wasn't missing. His confidence soared, and it was great to see.

Thanks again until this spring we'll concentrtae on other sports.