Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting kid pitch diificulty"

hudslefty posted:
Kevin A posted:

Good luck.  Dont let anyone brow beat you for asking questions!  As long as you AND he are having fun!  Glad to hear that he is a catcher in the making!  We are a catching household here ourselves!  Anything I can do feel free to send me a message!  My son went from third to behind the plate when he was 8!  Never left it.  And I agree! He has ADD and being behind the plate was a way to keep him involved.  He LOVES it.  Takes a special kid to get back their and receive the ball.  To take a foul tip, block a ball with your forearms or ball off the chest, shake it off and then ask for more?  You have to be special!

Thanks for this reply a while back. Great to hear about your son's success. My 7 year old has special needs as well and I'm hoping he develops an interest in baseball.

Yeah- my 9 year old son loves to catch!! So much he has little interest in pitching. just wants to catch. Made his all-star team as starting catcher batted 3 hole. It was great, and his hitting took off. Yes, it does take a special kid to get behind the plate. Most want nothing to do with it after a foul tip off the body. But he digs right back in.

One question- I am trying to improve his throwing a baseball. He plays water polo (in that sport you throw all different types of ways). It confuses him when he throws a baseball. I noticed at the end of last year he was shot-putting the ball almost. The throws were accurate but need to be stronger. He needs to get his arm back and use his body more to throw. Any sugestions?

Congrats on the second half of the season!  And if he really wants to be a catcher, unless gifted, moving away from pitching AND catching isn't a bad thing.  My son's arm was tired after JV baseball, followed by 3 games a week in teh summer for legion and then anywhere 3-5 games on the weekend.  It started out travel at 50-50 (He got 50 and the other two split 50) and then his primary back up got hurt and it was like 75-25.  Problem was the third back up couldnt handle our pitchers throwing 80-+ and no way did he block them.  We ended up bring in a few fill ins that helped take some of the work load off.  But we ended up having a two week layoff before our last tournament and he came back throwing seeds cause he was fresh.   He was way over worked.    Not sure that is gonna happen at 9 but as he gets older, remember he throws as often as a pitcher does.

My son has always had a different delivery.  Tough to even explain.  Arm would stay straight like he was windmilling it?  Best way to describe it was he didnt have the whip with the elbow leading as much as others did.  Still to this day it looks a tad different.  Still has a 2.1 pop time as a just turned 15 year old so no issues there.

In the meantime....NEVER to young to teach him how to receive the ball properly...how to frame...and more importantly block.  you can work on those things in the LR in the dead of winter...  If he likes watching baseball, start working on the mental game by watching MLB catchers.  How they call pitches...One of the best positions to learn by watching...