Reply to "Hitting Lefty"

Left eye dominant is the eye closest to the pitcher...

I think the walks are a bit driven by lack of control by pitchers, but it seems he has ability to tell if the pitch is off the plate by an inch.  I've seen him take a lot of walks where I couldn't believe he didn't swing and he'll tell me after the game - "dad, it was off the plate"...  He usually hit lead-off for us because he worked pitch counts so well and found ways to get on.  

His RH swing is solid, but can always be improved.  He hits a lot of line drives, but does fall into slumps where he'll lose his barrel and hit weak pop flies to 2B and 1B.  However, he understands what is causing that and can make the correction - which I think is to be applauded for a 12 u kid...  I know the power will come as he grows and get stronger.  He should be fairly tall, I am 6'2 and his mom is 5'9, so we'll see if and when that comes.

His foot speed/acceleration is lacking - he's not slow, but certainly isn't a speed merchant on the basepaths right now...  I don't think he'll utilize the benefit of being closer to 1B, unfortunately.

I think I might have him take a lesson with the guy he usually hits with in winter and get his feedback as well.  I know he'll recommend what is best for my boy...

Thanks for all of the feedback!!!