Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting Lefty"

IlliniFan96 posted:…I think the walks are a bit driven by lack of control by pitchers, but it seems he has ability to tell if the pitch is off the plate by an inch.  I've seen him take a lot of walks where I couldn't believe he didn't swing and he'll tell me after the game - "dad, it was off the plate"...  He usually hit lead-off for us because he worked pitch counts so well and found ways to get on.  …

What are his walks per PA and how does that compare to the other players on the team?

When you say he worked pitch counts so well, what do you mean? I’m always lookin’ for ways to get more information out of the numbers, and I think it might be interesting to see if there’s a way to tell which players work the count better than others.

What does found ways to get on mean? As far as I know there are only 6 ways to reach base safely, so are you saying he’s found a new way, or that he excels at one of the 6 that allows him to reach base better than other players on the team.

What percentage of called pitches on him are strikes and balls? I score for HSV and have found that the better hitters have about a 67% balls to 33% strikes.