Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting strategy for showcase"

Can I ask a few question? Are there live BP rounds? And what are your son's strengths? I have a 2021 OF as well and the recommendation for him was to showcase power/measureables (i.e. just mash) during BP and then focus on his approach/play within himself during games.  That advice was based on the fact that he naturally hits for power with a smooth lefty swing but it was important to show that he also has a great approach at the plate in game situations. It seems to be working...he just hit grand slams on back to back days at East Coast Pro and the first one was on a 10 pitch at bat because they restart the count after a walk. The exit velo on the second one was 107 (sorry if this is bragg-y but it just happened yesterday so I'm still a little fired up! LOL) but I think if he had been worried about measureables and not good QABs he might have overplayed his at bats. So to bring it back, IMHO BP is where you want to focus on measureables and the game is where you want to show what makes your son special as a hitter. The only thing I would avoid is showing off how well he walks...unless the reset the count after a walk and he still gets a chance to hit.