Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting Tips"

Cabbagepatch, My son is actually a hitter, a sophomore who is leading his HS Varsity team in average and slugging so far this season. Scouts are fairly impressed with his approach and the training he has received. One of the keys to coaching is listening very careful to a player who is asking for help. You are right about HBP to the head. But this player has admitted he has true fear of the ball which is a special issue different than a regular hitter.It sounds like you have not coached a player like this before. My guess is he has been injured by a HBP or witnessed a serious injury and has an issue with his MENTAL approach as a result, is that correct?. It seems to me that RyyMann who posted this is not past this issue and not ready to confidently take a HBP to get on base and would like to see another reply. I know some weaker hitters choose to take a HBP as a result of not getting on base by hitting well enough.I know some coaches encourage this because they want a hitter to get on base at all costs. But a player who jumps out of the way of a ball he could have hit has a mental block to deal with first. He MUST get mentally past the issue somehow or he will never be a hitter at the next level.

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

Yup, I'm used to same terminology as Standball but just semantics. 

Dadcoach, everyone from at least HS JV up (if not younger) teaches and encourages players NOT to avoid HBP (unless at the head) but instead, how to get hit properly.  Sorry, good hitters do not avoid HBP. OP is a teen and struggling with fear of HBP.  The last thing he wants to be thinking about is to move to avoid being hit.  You must be dad of a pitcher