Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting Tips"

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:
Originally Posted by Dadcoach:
Cabbagepatch, My son is actually a hitter, a sophomore who is leading his HS Varsity team in average and slugging so far this season. Scouts are fairly impressed with his approach and the training he has received. One of the keys to coaching is listening very careful to a player who is asking for help. You are right about HBP to the head. But this player has admitted he has true fear of the ball which is a special issue different than a regular hitter.It sounds like you have not coached a player like this before. My guess is he has been injured by a HBP or witnessed a serious injury and has an issue with his MENTAL approach as a result, is that correct?. It seems to me that RyyMann who posted this is not past this issue and not ready to confidently take a HBP to get on base and would like to see another reply. I know some weaker hitters choose to take a HBP as a result of not getting on base by hitting well enough.I know some coaches encourage this because they want a hitter to get on base at all costs. But a player who jumps out of the way of a ball he could have hit has a mental block to deal with first. He MUST get mentally past the issue somehow or he will never be a hitter at the next level.

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

Yup, I'm used to same terminology as Standball but just semantics. 

Dadcoach, everyone from at least HS JV up (if not younger) teaches and encourages players NOT to avoid HBP (unless at the head) but instead, how to get hit properly.  Sorry, good hitters do not avoid HBP. OP is a teen and struggling with fear of HBP.  The last thing he wants to be thinking about is to move to avoid being hit.  You must be dad of a pitcher   

Dadcoach,

Congrats on son's good start! 

Sorry, the "you must be dad of a pitcher" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek... and based on the fact that your bio says you are a "dad of a pitcher".

I will admit this is a tricky situation with a player who has fear of getting hit at this stage of the game (assuming I am doing the age math correctly? - see my initial post).  And I don't claim to know, definitively, the best answer to his problem.  But I do know that the large majority of HS and college coaches will require a player to wear a pitch as opposed to "practice getting out of the way of the ball" and this is not limited to weaker hitters. 

I have coached HS V (still do) and travel ball, study my craft and network with coaches at all levels.  We currently have six kids from our HS program playing college ball and I follow them and their games closely as well.  I've been in organized baseball for well over 40 years (ouch, I'm old).  I have never seen or heard of a HS or college coach teaching a player to get out of the way of a ball or avoid getting hit by it, as you state.  The standard is to teach how to wear it properly and take the base they are giving you.  I don't see how Ryymann can benefit from working on "getting out of the way" as his solution and still expect to become a successful hitter.  I'm always open to learning new thoughts, though, so please expand.

Ryymann, please tell us your age and current playing level so we can fine-tune our advice.

PS - Sorry, I hate the fact that I just stated credentials.  Just trying to give some point-of-reference background to keep the discussion progressing so that the OP may benefit.

Last edited by cabbagedad