Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting Tips"

Wow, cabbagedad has posted an impressive resume and his experience is still questioned and from movies.  Ted Williams was HBP 39 times in his career.  While that isn't a lot, he was dinged a few times.  "Getting out of the way" means so many things to good hitters.  For example, with my child, one drill we do is called "The Progression Drill."  In that drill, I throw at her front hip, throw one down the middle and then throw one away.  She protects herself or "gets out of the way" on the one to her hip by destroying that pitch.  Two weekends ago, a team tried to throw in at her in consecutive at bats.  Both balls cleared the fence and cost the owner of cars some hefty money. 

Cabbagedad is correct that a normal part of what is practiced in HS ball is getting hit by the pitch.  We start with teaching how to "turn into the ball" as some have said but meaning that we turn the left shoulder in toward that plate and rotate toward the catcher at contact.  That alleviates some of the pain in getting hit and is the only way to ensure that a player can safely be hit by pitch.  As most know, if a pitcher wants to really hurt a hitter, they throw just behind the earhole of the helmet.  Why?  Because if a hitter leans back from that or "away from the pitch" as I call it, they will get hit in the face.  We typically start by throwing tennis balls and then real balls in where we don't hit them but let them practice rotating.  My guess is that every high school practices this.  OP, imo, the best way to conquer your fear is to face it and get hit in a manner I have presented here so you can practice knowing what to do.

Dadcoach, you didn't help your case here by starting a post with, "Cabbagepatch, My son is actually a hitter, a sophomore who is leading his HS Varsity team in average and slugging so far this season. Scouts are fairly impressed with his approach and the training he has received. One of the keys to coaching is listening very careful to a player who is asking for help."  I don't know if the "Cabbagepatch" was a mistake or one to attack cabbagedad.  Cabbagedad, has a lengthy history here and so, before you attack him with comments such as your son is actually a hitter, you might want to go read some of his posts.  They are very good.

Per myself, I have a resume too long to mention in this game.  MNMom thinks it worthy enough to allow me to help moderate this site. If you want to read some of my posts, please do so to determine if you think I know anything about the game.  I have a child too who might just qualify as a hitter. 

Take care,

Darrell

Example:

Last edited by CoachB25