Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting Tips"

Originally Posted by Dadcoach:
Yes- we need to hear from RyyMann for his age and level of play- I am guessing around 16. There is a fascinating chapter in the book "Three Nights In August" by Buzz Bissinger where Tony LaRussa's view on the HBP and beanbballs are a factor. The chapter highlights how this can have a huge and permanent impact on the mental approach of a hitter. Until I read this book I never understood the "Self-Police" approach to paybacks and what it was about from a managers perspective. The book is a great read and I heard they are making a movie soon. There are a few books on hitting that address this issue and one called "Youth Baseball Coaching" that goes into details on how to maintain mental confidence by knowing how to properly avoid HBP injury with particular drills. Also relating to my first reply-In the Ken Burns documentary the episode on Ted Williams they mention his eyes were so good as a hitter that rarely could a pitcher hit him because he could always get out of the way. And this is a guy who while avoiding the HBP has the greatest on base percentage in baseball history. 
Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

Seriously?  You're going to substantiate your advice and knowledge of baseball based upon some books that you read and movies that you saw?

I read a book about the moon once, but it doesn't make me an astronaut.