Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting Velocity"

Sounds similar to my kid.  He is very young, we will be 11u this year.  Since moving to travel ball, he has always been a good fastball hitter.  He does a lot of cage work with pitching machines.  I never played baseball and he quickly surpassed any challenge my arm could prvovide.  I do still throw to him from time to time, but I don't think he gets real work unless its against a pitching machine.

At 8u he could hit (contact) a 70 mph fast ball.  It was hard from him to stay on the ball b/c it was literally so hard and he didn't have the strength in his forearms and wrists to do much with the ball.  He has been working against 80 mph for about two years now and he can drive it from time to time with a wood bat.

Nobody at 11u throws that hard, but I've noticed that most teams look for that flame thrower.  They look for the kid that can blow everybody away with speed.  My son literally runs up into the batters box when he see a pitcher throwing real heat which may have been 55+ at 10u.  For him, that is his warm-up speed.  I just never wanted him to be intimidated by a pitcher.  I've seen plenty of kids that are "scared" of a guy's velocity and know they are a strike out.  I believe in being over prepared.  He doesn't like off speed pitching, but he has gotten better with it each year.  He has hit over .450 the last two years so I'm hoping he can maintain or improve his success at the plate.  I know more off speed is coming this year.