Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting...the most important tool"

TR ... agree 100%.

I have no problem being wrong ... my wife reminds me of that often Smile.

I enjoy spirited discussion of different, even passionate, opinions because I learn a lot ... particularly when the concepts, ideas, positions are debated on their merits with other curious, insightful, and positive people. In the end I'm not all that interested in being right, but more in learning what is right from people that are more knowledgeable than me ... and maybe make some connection with other people in the process.

I find it pretty rude when someone feels they need to elevate and promote their position in a discussion by attempting to undermine others on a personal level ... i.e., stating you're wrong because your position is 'imagined' in your own little 'reality', instead of on presenting stronger evidence that supports the merits of their opinion.

Well, in my own little 'reality' of local HS baseball teams (this is HSbaseballweb after all), the emperical evidence is very strong that teams with at least two dominating Div-I bound pitchers almost always go very far, placing 1st or 2nd in league and moving on to post season play. HS teams lacking a decent pitching rotation have struggled to win consistently regardless of their offensive depth. They win a game here and there ... but not consistently. Ultimately, for 'winning' programs, it's not an either/or proposition ... you have to have a well rounded team both defensively and offensively, but in a vacuum, at least at the HS level, great pitching will usually take you farther than great hitting. By the time you end up in post-season play, of course you'd better have a decent offense because the quality of pitching starts to equalize ... if your HS hitters can only hit average pitching, you'll be knocked out early.

I've also seen the same thing on our club team, which has quality .370-.475 hitting throughout the entire lineup ... for the past three years we've only done really well and advanced into the final rounds of tournaments when we have had a deep pitching rotation.