Skip to main content

Reply to "Hold on to your socks"

It is funny how this thread has brought back so many memories for me. I have had private conversations with TR and Mn-Mom about music and it is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. It is also a topic for me that has similarities to many baseball experiences that we read here on the hsbbweb i.e., ups and downs etc...

One door closes and another one opens...

As a kid, all I ever wanted to do was be a pro football, baseball, or basketball player. I was very competitive but not a great athlete by any stretch. By 9th grade and after football season wound down, that was the end of my high school sports career. My family moved from a tiny school in Pa to a much larger school here in Ohio. I figured I didn't stand a chance so I never attempted to go out for sports in 10th grade. That was probably a mistake in hindsight.

In 10th grade, I became serious about music and formed one band after another. My hair was at least as long as TR's if not longer. My favorite guitar player was Jimmy Page and I received a brown and gold Les Paul guitar as a graduation present from my parents. I figured I would need a decent job to support my music career and music electronics were really starting to take off in the late 70's. I went to a technical school for two years for electronics while playing in the band. I quickly found it was a field I loved and had a knack for. I worked on the very first MRI scanners that were developed in the world and have several brain scans from those days. I have shown those scans on job interviews to prove I indeed had a brain Smile

The more I got into the electronics field, the less time I had for full time music and that ambition waned. When I was about 24, I decided I wanted to do more than be an electronics technician and went back to school. Ten years later, I graduated with an electrical engineering degree. During that time, we raised three kids and I worked full time. One week after graduating from engineering school, I started law school. At 38 years old, I became the oldest rookie lawyer in the country. I now prepare and prosecute patents for the biggest high technology companies in the world.

Ya see, one thing leads to another and one photograph made me think about all those things. Thanks itsinthegame for posting that and thanks TR for the memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oHxq77_MI