Skip to main content

Reply to "Holy Re-Classing!"

Ah, I know this dilemma all too well.  My 2021 has a June 5th birthday.  Preschool teachers said "if you bring him back for another year of preschool, he'll be bored and won't be challenged at all."  So we trusted in that and moved him on to kindergarten.  He struggled some in English in elementary school and his mom regretted the decision because of it.  He got up to speed by the time he got to middle school.

He's an awfully good ball player, but he's undersized at 5'9" 165ish.  Not sure how much more he'll grow (likely very little), but it almost certainly would have been better for him to graduate in 2022 versus 2021.  He has all D1 measurables despite his size and had some legit D1 interest, but no D1 offers ever came, so he's going the JUCO route.  I wouldn't say we have any regrets because he's in a really good spot, but there is little doubt in my mind that his chances of going straight to D1 from high school could have been improved if he were a 2022 grad and had the extra year to grow and develop.  He's making the most of what he was handed.  Smaller guys always have to outwork and outperform the larger guys to be successful.  Welcome to normal life.