Skip to main content

Reply to "Holy Re-Classing!"

We "academically red-shirted" our 2023 summer birthday boy in 6th grade.  He was so smart as 4-5 year old we felt like we had to put him in Kindergarten early.  But he was always noticeably a little emotionally behind as the youngest kid in his class.  After 6th grade, I had a career change and an epiphany to have him repeat the grade.  (I would be lying if I didn't consider the sports implications)  Every teacher and the principal told me I was being unreasonable... he's too smart, he'll be bored, he'll get in trouble, etc...  We did it anyways.  We home schooled him so he wouldn't feel weird.    I went fishing and camping with him.  Did overseas travel trips.  And played lots of sports together.  It was a great year.   

He's definitely a more mature high school student because of it.  Grades are super easy.  He's disciplined enough to study for the SAT/ACT every day since mid freshmen year. 

I think it will help him out with soccer and baseball.  He's little so I can't imagine he would have had any shot if he were on the original timeline.  Now I think he might have a shot at high level D3 baseball or soccer.  IMO, it was a win to do this.