Skip to main content

Reply to "Hope Rice was misquoted"

Well, not quite.
Rice didn't talk about Jeter's night life. He talked about Jeter not comparing with guys that played in the Rice era.
If this is about Jeter's night life, I would be surprised if Rice's peers lead off the field lives that will get them a free pass into heaven.
Rice was wrong to include Jeter in his comments. He was especially wrong to make those comments about Jeter to a group of little leaguers.
With his election into the Hall, Rice is going to be visible. His comments take on a different importance.
Whether you like Jeter or don't like Jeter, between the lines, he plays the game the right way. He plays the game the way every young player should be taught to play the game, in my opinion.
We do not have enough young players who play the game that way.
I have no problem with Jim Rice expressing his views.
If he said the same thing last July, no one would care because he was not in the Hall of Fame. Now that he is, he takes on a new role as an ambassador/spokesperson for the game, especially when given the privilege to speak to a group of 12/13 year olds.
I question introducing the race aspect. Jeter and Rice are African-American. Who knows what Jeter has experienced as contrasted with Rice. I question if Rice would agree that allows him any leniency when it comes to what he said about Jeter, either.
Last edited by infielddad