Skip to main content

Reply to "Hopeless?? - controversial subject, maybe..."

BobbyBaseball posted:

So it looks like I stepped into Taboo territory here....kinda.  Haha

My purpose for the post wasn’t about dismissing education.  It was more about dismissing how difficult and fleeting baseball / athletic talent can be to maintain.   A season of red card could cost a player nearly 5 mos of reps.

Now let’s consider the extreme that red cards are taken.  I don’t think I said a kid has to be dumb as a rock or lazy to get red carded.  A kid could be a average A, B, And occasionally C student and suddenly run ito a class, say physics, computer programming or calculus... that just whips his arse....  booom! 59% after the first test... booom! Red card... booom! Spiral.  

The arse kicking class thing has happen to a lot of kids... who go on to D1... but then again they might not be baseball players....  I theorize that if it happens to a baseballers at the wrong time, the consequences could be tragic.

what I’m getting at is,  does the zero tolerance (of anything) method really help or hurt baseballers / athletes?

A kid could be a good enough student that an eventual D (by the skin of their teeth) won’t hurt their prospects of getting into a D1.  BUT, the loss of playing time costs him D1 looks, MLB radar time and diminishes skill.  THAT could cost them more than the D they got.  is that a good thing or bad.   How does the zero tolerance thing play out on, skill, visibility and development... it may or may not.  But I have to wonder.  

I only brought up Int’l kids because they don’t have such hurtles.

i could be wrong here, but the whole red card thing is a fairly new phenomenon.  I’d be curious of how that MINDSET would have impacted the path of MLBer of say just  5/10yrs ago.  We’ll never know....  but is the MLBs turn to the Carrabian a symptom of something wrong with youth baseball development?  I say yes..  is this MINDSET a problem overall?

my kids and I have a joke that makes light of that mindset...  when one of them swings and misses during soft toss, I say “that’s it, your NEEEVER making varsity” because of 1 bad swing....  then we laugh...

because it’s becoming true... the mindset that everything hangs in the balance, every test, every class, everything... its a bit much. 

You’re sooooooo far off base it’s unbelievable. High school baseball is an extracurricular activity. Like every other activity (including band and chess club) students have to academically qualify. 

A player is more likely to improve his play in 40-50 summer ball games than 20-25 high school games. He’s more likely to be seen by college coaches and pro scouts in the summer. If he’s a good player the summer competition is much higher quality. Not playing high school ball does not get in the way of advancing. It only raises questions that can be answered.