Skip to main content

Reply to "Hopeless?? - controversial subject, maybe..."

BobbyBaseball posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Bobby....you don't seem to think a kid could "make it" just by playing travel?  That couldn't be further from the truth.  Would he at least need to graduate HS?  Sure, then he could either be drafted or go to a JUCO....but not playing for his local HS team won't necessarily matter....as long as he can at least get thru HS, even if his grades are awful.

My son was a good student, great ACT, but from a small town HS in Ohio.  He ended up with a baseball scholarship to a D1.  I will GUARANTEE you that if he hadn't played travel ball during his HS years that he wouldn't have ended up at a D1.  In 3 years of varsity baseball, in a league that's got a team that has 6 or 7 guys currently in the pros (MLB or Minors) I can tell you that we never saw a D1 guy at any of our games.  A few D2 and D3's from local schools,  but that's all.  My son played the summer between his junior and senior year in HS on a very well known travel club here in Ohio.  They had two 17U teams....and they both played at the same events.  There were regularly 40+ coaches at their weekend events.  D1's from all over the Midwest and East Coast.   You don't have to be a genius to play college baseball somewhere.

Your kind of right about me... I’m sceptical.  I just haven’t seen or heard of that path.... 

What cave on what deserted island have you been hiding in for twenty years?

Last edited by RJM