Skip to main content

Reply to "Horror"

Per the OP, I don't know that I think poor choices are as much a thing of privilege but rather they are most often a result of poor parenting.  While I understand that there are exceptions to the rule, IMO, the more parent or parents put into their parenting efforts, the better the child will respond.  My wife and I have never struck our daughter.  We never had to "give her a whipping."  Instead, we were firm and consistent.  We engaged ourselves in every aspect of her life while doing our best to not be helicopter parents.  As most know, in sports like baseball and softball, helicopter parents are plentiful.  My dd is 30 now and I am certain that she would cry if either my wife or myself tell her that we are disappointed in her. 

Parenting is hard and it is extremely hard when a family has a gifted child.  In our cases sports.  We set "rules" for our child.  some of those included that when interviewed by the press she was to heap praise on her teammates or coaching staff first in her response.  She was told that she was never to criticize her teammates in public and to be careful doing so at any time.  She was told that when we purchased new equipment appreciate it and if possible, find someone who could benefit from her older equipment.  Our daughter participated in TB programs that were strong in doing community service.  She spent both Thanksgiving and Christmas feeding the homeless.  When she went to college, (30 minutes away from where we live.) she asked her coach if her college team could work the Christmas meal.  Many of her teammates went home for Christmas but those that didn't served with her. 

Well, enough about my child and us.  The point is that parents work to put their children on the right path.  For so many of us, our efforts have been repaid and then some.  I know many on this site and your children are outstanding.  Sometimes, kids mess up.  The case in the OP was an example.