Skip to main content

Reply to "Hot stove talk"

3Bag, as a SFG fan I'm not as heartbroken as most that Pablo left town, because you may be right about his longevity, you may be right about him melting under pressure, and you are definitely right about him not having as much power as Howard. OTOH Pablo squares up on the ball consistently, unlike Howard, and doesn't strike out much at all for such a a free swinger.  176 hits / 76 SO per 182 game season for Pablo vs. 127 hits / 190 SO for Howard. I'd take Pablo any time just for that. What you don't take into account is the fact that Pablo is truly freakishly athletic.  I'm sure you're aware that he's a lefty who taught himself to throw righty.  Largely (pun intended) due to his weight issues, he's vastly underrated defensively. His reflexes are extraordinary.  So I'm guessing that that his extremely high hand-eye coordination will not allow quite the kind of quick falloff that you and RJM project when he passes 30 and gains some weight.  In fact, if I was the Bosox I'd ease up a bit on the weight issue and treat him like Fielder Sr. & Jr. I think Pablo actually plays better when he's not starving and nobody is bugging him about his weight. Maybe get him on a paleo diet and tell him to eat as much as he wants. 

All that said, my AL team is the O's, so as much as I appreciate all that he did at AT&T, I hope Pablo and the BoSox finish next season and every season of his contract in 4th place, right above the Yankees.