Skip to main content

Reply to "How a coach found players..."

I think there are a lot of parents who experience difficulty talking with their kids, particularly regarding certain subjects. The communication problem is not confined to parents of baseball players, nor are they exempt.

Generally, it takes two to "communicate," otherwise, someone is probably just talking. I LIKE to think I have a GENERALLY good rapport with both my boys (16 and 13), who will freely discuss a lot of things with me, but I've certainly noticed issues on which they are far less "communicative." I've also noticed that these issues are often the ones that, IMO, need the most discussion. Getting a two-way communication going on these issues can be just plain 'ole hard work...like pulling teeth. Unfortunately, I'm not always successful and am left with the uncomfortable feeling I'm just lecturing.

Baseball is RARELY one of the problematic issues, but career plans, some school or relationship issues and/or social activities are. Not having been born with perfect parenting (or communication skills), I'm always interested in ideas as to how I might better communicate with my kids, getting them to either "open up" more, or become less resistant to discussion of important issues.