Skip to main content

Reply to "How accurate are top pitchers? If pitching were archery?"

HHH,

Without knowing what we were doing, we did the "plywood" drill- only with a cement wall and a spray-can painted circle(about 6-8" diameter) when my son was around 8 years old. He developed pretty good control from that point forward and also became exceptional at fielding his position on the rebound off of the wall.

Concerning all of those pro pitchers who seem to "miss" the glove by a rather large distance- often the glove is what the pitcher focuses on to be throwing AT and the catcher has to then move the glove based on where the ball will move once the pitcher has released. This may vary from pitcher/catcher and organization to organization, but it is one reason that many pitches seem to "miss the spot"..... Of course often they do just miss! Wink

Also, pitchers ARE focusing at a smaller area than just the glove, thus the contrasting colored pockets used on many catcher's gloves.

Of course... I still don't know what I am doing concerning pitching, but son is starting to get a small grasp.

OPP