Skip to main content

Reply to "How Big a Boy Are Ya?"

JD - Nice that your boy is catching up. Mine was born a little early too, but had caught up by the time he was two or so. It's funny, it's often said here that the big kids top out early and the little kids shoot up and I'm sure it happens occasionally. In our experience, my son was the big kid, he hung out with a bunch of multi sport athletes that were all pretty big too, and they're still the bigger kids. Most are nearly full grown now and are maybe 6' to 6'3". The shorter & smaller players are still smaller, but most of them ended up 5'10 or 5'11. So the difference definitely narrowed as they all grew up. It's just not a big factor now in baseball, but I do remember it as a topic of some conversation when the boys were young. Much more important (as has been mentioned recently too) is the point when a boy stops improving. The biggest key is to get better every year, which means work ethic and coach-ability become increasingly important. Running speed, bat speed and pop time become more important. Character begins to reveal itself. Love of the game and the ability to prioritize are so much more important at 17 than 7, and height just isn't that big a thing.