Skip to main content

Reply to "How close are they to becoming Major Leaguers?"

I agree with Dad04, those guys are very far and few between.
Justin Smoak from South Carolina is a good example of what you may be speaking of. While it is a known fact he turned down lots of money to go to college, he is one of those players who most likely without a doubt will do even better in the 2008 draft and have the benefit of the college experience. I have heard it benefits a hitter to take his at bats in college. I just posted something about Tyler Colvin from Clemson. He did his maturing in college to become a first round pick. I beleive interest out of HS was not that much, not sure.
Two players I know who would could been high picks out of HS, have had not so stellar college careers, but they will be drafted non the less, not sure if going to college first would have brought more money or chance to get to the show quicker as they were not drafted out of HS (signability). I do not doubt that they will play one day in the show. I have also seen many first rounders out of HS, signed, not making progress while some out of college have the skills to move quickly. Like anything else, you just don't know how someone will end up, regardless of the path they take.

It's a bit trickier with pitchers. That's why, IMO, it is important to watch carefully how the schools your sons are interested in attending treat arms. That was important to us and a huge factor in pro after college vs pro after HS. Lot also depends on the organization that is drafting as to development in their system.

Intersting, Phil Humber came out of Rice and received a lot of money, injured and has yet to make the show. Zach Duke, same year for HS graduation, drafted 20+ rounds and is there already. OPP posted about that last week, I do beleive his opportunity came due to injury of someone. But Zach needed the stuff it took to be given that chance and he had it. Although not given a huge signing bonus, he is now today, were others who have signed out of college with lots of money are not.

Midlodad, to answer your question, you might try looking at teams that draft largely from HS players (Atlanta for example). Where are the players that they took out of HS, say 3-5 years ago. I do beleive BA just did a piece on who produces the best prospects.

What bothers me is someone, anyone convincing starry eyed 17,18 year olds to take the money and go sign because they will one day be future MLB

The most important thing, is what is best for each individual player and what it will take for them to give up going to school for that opportunity.
Last edited by TPM