Skip to main content

Reply to "how come??"

Bsaeball21,
It is difficult to tell you what is going on without watching you. But, over the years I have seen a number of kids that have similar problems. They usually fall into one of three areas. 1. Mechanical. I have a hitter that is working on this problem now. If you open your hips and your hands don't fire, you will have a tough time turning on the pitch and will have the results you describe. Try this, set yourself early and start your swing with your hands. You will like the results. 2. Mental. Many times a hitter hits well in a situation where they know they will swing, but in a game, when they have to make a decision to swing, they cannot fully commit to the swing aggressively. Try to take the approach of every pitch will be a strike, set yourself and expect to swing. If it is not in the zone, lay-off. It is easier to stop, than to start when you are not prepared. 3. Relax. I have had countless players over the years that were tense at the plate and could not swing quickly when they needed it. Each learned to relax and explode on the ball and ALL improved from this. Their is a physiological term "reciprocal inhibition." It simply states that in order for a muscle to fire at its maximum effectiveness that the opposing muscles must relax. This is done through a chemical process but is aided if the muscles relax. Loading in my view is placing the body in a relaxed position in which it can effectively utilize the most areas of the body to contribute to a swing with rapid contraction to the hitting zone.