Skip to main content

Reply to "How Do Coaches Feel About Parents With Radar"

Don't let your lack of training knowledge keep you from stating your opinion. I realize you're entitled to it whether right or wrong.

Again, to a father and son who are "in training", if you will, the radar gun is necessary to see if the mechanics are right.

Most of you must not realize that there are specific mechanical adjustments that can make up to a 5 mph difference. And, the thrower, if training, and if the mechanic is new, doesn't know other than by the radar reading, if he's executing properly. The gun will tell you. You can not tell any other way. In fact, your body will lie to you at times. The throws that feel "right" may not be and the ones that feel "wrong" or "different" might be right. The reason is "right" and "wrong" is ususally judged by feel. What feels right is usually what you're used to not what is right. The new mechanic may feel "wrong" when first using it. You need the feedback from the gun to know for sure.

And, as I said before, you can not tell, by sight, a 5 mph difference.

Now, many of you will jump up and say.......but movment this........or.......deception that. OK, fine. We like movement. And we like deception. But what if we have those and are working on velocity????

Our goal is not to say "look at us we throw 90". Which is exactly what most of you think when you see a dad with a gun. We simply want the reading to compare to what it should be. What we know he's capbale of.

BTW, we're a father/son team that has taken on a goal to throw 80+ mph. Our best to date is 78. We are not going to play DI or make a living from it. Can we have our project, train, test with radar, train some more, test some more and learn from the experience???

It's a fun project that we have a lot of fun (and frustration) doing. Something we have a common interest in. Something we can do together. We're not in the category you are imagining as far as showing off what we can do. We simply want to be the best we can be. In fact, we're the one you snicker at......you know what you say......."why would they work so hard at this, he doesn't have a chance?" But we could care less what you think.

I will never apologize for that nor will I put any weight into what others think of us for using a gun at a game.
Last edited by Teacherman