Skip to main content

Reply to "How do I know if I’m a D1 prospect?"

@Francis7 posted:

Everyone told my son he was a D1 player. HS coach told him. Head of the travel organization told him. And, some affiliated with MLB that he trained with told him he was a D1 player. And, in the end, D1 schools recruited him and some D1 schools made him very generous offers. But the reality was that most of these D1s were schools/campuses that really didn't pull my son's interest.  And, the ones that were OK were schools that would be thrilled to win 20 games in a season.

The kid wanted a school that he felt was the right fit and a baseball program that legitimately could contend for a national championship.  So, he accepted a great athletic and academic offer to attend one of the Top fifteen D2s in the country - and they're there annually.

That all said, the layman's view on him when they hear he went D2 is that he wasn't a D1 prospect.

Is that correct?

Personally, I don't care. He's in the perfect place for him. Hopefully it's the best 4 years imaginable. My opinion on college baseball is: It's more than likely the last 4 years you will get to play a game that you have been playing for 12+ years. Why not go somewhere where those last 4 years have a chance to be the best 4 years? And, why go somewhere that's not going to be a good four years just to say you went D1?