Skip to main content

Reply to "How do I know if I’m a D1 prospect?"

@baseballhs posted:

I still say that if you are a D1 prospect who will play, they will contact you.  Again, I think everyone should do at least one showcase a year, if you think you are a prospect. If you are, they will write about you. My son committed before he played any meaningful varsity and played on a travel team with his friends...we never made it out of pool play at tournaments.  There are a lot of ways to skin a cat.

I think if we compare our views and look at them sideways it’s kind of the same thing. Your son did a showcase that got him in front of D1’s who made contact. My son was recruited by a travel program known for placing players in D1. Once he played for them they made contact. There’s no doubt you’re not a D1 prospect until they start making contact. Part of it was he was promoted by the travel program to certain D1’s. He ended up at one of them.

But I’ve seen players think they’re D1 prospects, tried to get on certain 17u teams that would never happen and/or wasted money attending showcases that were above their (not D1) talent level.

My daughter went through the same process for softball. Programs were contacted by the travel team, saw her play and made contact with her. But she was discovered and ended up at a college that wasn’t originally on her radar. Part of this was college coaches check out the talent of travel teams known for getting players to their level (in this case their conference).