Skip to main content

Reply to "How do I know if I’m a D1 prospect?"

@PitchingFan posted:

Mine and RJM's was very clear.  Why would you make such a large decision without doing your research?  If I don't know medical stuff and my doctor recommends a very life changing procedure, I'm going to do my research.  I'm going on the internet, ask friends, get a second opinion.  This is not the same but the same mindset should be used for travel ball teams or college commitment.  Do your research.

If you are asking what needs to be asked, legitimately.  I'm going to watch a game of that team play.  I'm going to talk to parents, other coaches, and organizational leaders.  Yes they will trash each other but some of it has to be true.  I don't go look at a car during business hours.  I go after hours and see the car and check it out then I go back during business hours and deal with sales manager, never a salesman.  If you won't give me a manger, then I'm walking.

I'm going to check out your pictures on the wall of your success stories and check out that player's playing history on PG, PBR, or wherever.  My son is on the wall of at least 2 organizations that he only played one tournament with.  One other place he is on their list of P5 commits and he never actually played with them but was on the roster for a tournament.

All of this is just common sense and is very good advice. The problem is that most parents DO NOT do these these things. They go along with what their son wants to do and skip the due diligence. Or they take advice from a friend and skip the due diligence. They usually assume that all travel ball orgs are basically equal when they first wade into the water. After a year or two they realize all things are not equal and THEN they start doing the homework they should have done in the beginning. IMO the focus of all travel ball orgs should be player development. Exposure doesn’t accomplish anything unless you have skills (and playing ability) to show off. I advise any parent or player to look at the individual that is coaching your travel ball team more than the name of the org.